FixLivity is reader-supported. We may earn an affiliate commission when you buy through the links on our site. Learn more.
Recently, I was caught off guard when I couldn’t figure out how to hook up my dryer vent in a tight spot. No matter what I did, I couldn’t figure out how to do it. I was feeling frustrated. Being an appliance repair technician, I was scared about my dryer. I could not afford to buy another dryer. But after thinking about the problem for only minutes, I figured out the solution.
You might be wondering, how did I figure out the solution on how to hook up a dryer vent in a tight space? All I had to do for my gas dryers was connect the gas lines properly. But you might need to take some extra steps like preparing the offset dryer vent, sealing gaps with foil duct tapes, and connecting the offset dryer to the wall vent duct connection.
After being able to hook up my dryer vent, the joy that went over me was unimaginable. This is why I have compiled a list of solutions to help you overcome a similar problem.
What You Will Be Going Through to Hook Up Your Vent
“How to hook up a dryer vent in a tight space?” has been a question for many people. One of the most important thoughts that comes into mind is the location where you will install the vent. Due to the lack of space in most people’s houses, this might be a tough job and might require a lot of work and patience.
An exceptional dryer vent connector generally called an offset vent, is supposed to join a dryer that has a divider vent near the dryer vent of discharge. These extraordinary vents use two going against vent affiliations that slide on tracks. This grants it to change the distance between the point of convergence of each vent.
The vents license a span from concentration to 24-to 48-inch offsets, dependent upon the size and style of offset vent used. Whether you have a gas dryer or an electric one, the dryer’s vent affiliation is identical to some other. All through this article, you will sort out some way to interact with your different dryer’s lines.
Tools You’ll Need to hook up a dryer vent in a tight space
Throughout this journey, you will require to have specific types of tools and materials. The possible types of equipment & materials you will be needing:
How To Hook Up A Dryer Vent In A Tight Space (Step by Step Guide)
1. Attach the gas lines
A gas dryer has a special versatile gas line that passes oil gas from the house gas line on to the gas delta fitting on the dryer. The strings of these two sections ought to be wrapped by PTFE jack of all trades’ tape. This yellow tape is made especially for vaporous petroleum, propane, butane, water, oil, and manufactured lines and is heavier than a white jack of all trades’ tape. The gas valve must be turned off. The gas line should be pointing in the opposite direction from the valve handle. Detach power from the dryer’s divider outlet.
Wrap the yellow PTFE tape around each fitting multiple times, encompassing the fitting in a clockwise bearing. When wrapped, partner one fruition of the gas line to the dryer delta fitting and hand fix. Over the gas supply line, fix the opposite end of the adaptable gas line by hand. Adjust each connection consistently until the connection is at ease with a versatile wrench. Don’t overtighten.
Check that the gas valve is in the ON position by turning it in such a way that the handle complies with the gas line. Check the gas affiliations for spills by spraying a foamy water plan onto them.
2. Offset dryer must be prepared
An adaptable dryer vent of offset is used when space is confined. A dryer vent of the periscope is another name for it. Using a right-angle 4-inch channel on the dryer’s delivery vent, offset vents grant the dryer to be put closer to the divider than a run-of-the-mill tornado shelter foundation. It is like manner that allows the dryer to be joined to a respectable vent relationship in the divider considering the way that the vent affiliation conductor thinks about both offset and level changes.
Installing an offset dryer vent
Distance must be measured between the dryer vent of discharge’s center and the point of convergence of the divider vent you’ll relate. Purchase an offset dryer vent kit that is the right size for your dryer. You should purchase the smallest kit that will take care of business.
- GENUINE OEM: Whirlpool Genuine OEM Accessories are designed specifically for your appliance, meet tested engineering standards, and are crafted to ensure the quality of your appliance, unlike non-OEM parts
- ADJUSTABLE, up to 18"
- DESIGNED for use in small laundry spaces with 2-1/2" clearance
3. Use foil ducts to seal the gaps
Wipe out the offset course from the compartment, then, slide the two vent affiliation openings isolated or closer together to get the fitting partitioning. Use HVAC aluminum foil tape to close the open joints and secure the sliding channel into place at whatever point it has been arranged impeccably situated.
Use aluminum foil tape instead of common conductor tape, which vanishes rapidly and forgets to seal the convergence. Since a gas dryer vent exhausts develop and air as well as a dangerous greenhouse gas to the outside, a tight seal is major.
- iPower 2 pack aluminum foil tape provides a durable bond at low and high temperatures. Conformable backing and pressure sensitive adhesive means it will adhere properly to a variety of smooth and irregular surfaces
- 2.0 inches wide x 84 feet (28 yards). 2.0 mil foil and 2.0 mil backing. Performs from -20 F to 220+ F. Ensure that surface is clean, dry, free of grease, oil or other contaminants before applying aluminum tape
- High-quality aluminum foil coated in epoxy resin with strong, cold-weather solvent acrylic adhesive set on a easy-release silicone paper liner to preserve the adhesive and provide ease of use
4. Use the offset dryer vent to connect to the wall
Attach the divider affiliation channel to the fitting completion of the offset course which is by and large the more unobtrusive estimation end. Since there isn’t much room to work with and you don’t really accept that the offset channel ought to tumble off after the dryer is set up, tape it down using aluminum foil pipe tape at the harsh point expected for the last relationship with the dryer. A 4 1/2-inch solidified support can be used if there is adequate material for a tasteful grinding fit.
5. The dryer must be connected to the offset dryer
Over the dryer’s delivery vent, place a 4 1/2-inch tempered steel band support. Slide the offset dryer vent connector over the dryer’s delivery vent to arrange the dryer. Check for a comfortable fit before moving the band support over the course connectors and fixing it. Attach the dryer in, and turn it on using a screwdriver or connection driver. Ensure that everything is working fittingly and that the exhaust pipes are at this point associated.
- Eliminates hose crimping at the faucet
- Easy Gripper for effortless attachment
- Easy to install and use
Alternative Ways to Install a Dryer Vent in a Tight Space
1. If the Dryer vent is magnetic
For little places, a dryer vent that is magnetic is normally the most ideal choice. Utilizing the strength of magnets, this progressive piece of innovation snaps shut right on the exhaust pipe and waits. It likewise accompanies an adaptable hose that might grow and contract on a case-by-case basis. This is an incredible answer to any space limitations, and it’s very easy to assemble.
Installation of the magnetic duct
There are two or three direct stages to presenting the magnet mount, and when the previous conductor has been cleared, you’ll need to go along with it to the exhaust pipe on the divider. It will require two or three openings to be entered to sink it into place, which should be genuinely clear.
On the other hand, use the included screws and ring catches to secure the channel to the dryer. Take the dryer closer to the divider after the channel tubing has been associated, and the magnet will stick shut, giving you the best fit for a difficult situation.
- For 90° Venting, or Vent Pipes Exiting Side Wall, Floor or Ceiling in New & Existing Construction.
- Strong Magnets Self-Align & Attach Dryer Hose to Exit Vent.
- Utilizes Zero Flame Spread, UL 2158A Approved Dryerflex Transition Hose.
2. Flexible hose
A versatile hose is unquestionably not another thought; it’s been around from now forward, endlessly a really long time to manage the issue of dryer vents in limited spaces. Basically, a hose can be worked of metal, metal foil, or plastic, and its chief incorporate is flexibility. It can relax or be crashed into position without any problem.
It’s essentially an exchange pipe for your standard dryer vent hose, and it’s as easy to present as implanting it set up, fixing the ring catches or screws, and permitting the line to pull out as you press the dryer against the divider.
- 4 Inch Duct Include:Cenipar dryer vent hose- flexible aluminum foil ducting vent hose(4 inch 8 feet).The dryer duct package list includes 1 X Flexible aluminum foil ducting vent Hose,2 X metal clamps.
- HIGH QUALITY:Flexible ventilation pipe made of high-quality flame-retardant aluminum and built-in corrosion-resistant steel wire spiral.Temperature endurance range is 0 - 185°F. (-18°C - 85°C).4 inches (diameter) x 8 feet (length) when fully extended.
- USAGE:Dryer vent tight space is Mainly used in air duct fan systems, used in various air circulation and ventilation projects, including hydroponic planting rooms and tents, bathrooms and lofts, heating and cooling transportation and other devices. Dryer exhaust hose can also be used to cool AV equipment rooms, closets, racks and cabinets.
3. Periscopic dryer vents
Periscopic dryer vents were made to be small and fit into little areas. It will allow you to sort your dryer out in a challenging situation. It’s similarly worked of hard materials that prevent developments from creating inside. The level arrangement of the periscopic vent, instead of a chamber-like plan, grants it to fit comfortably between the dryer and the divider.
In addition, the periscopic vent can be acclimated to meet any course of action differentiations, and it has openings on the two gets done with, making it maybe the most ideal choice for bound places.
Installing dryer vent of periscopes
The procedure is immediate, and in case you’re OK with several instruments, you may not really need ace assistance. Affix one of the openings to your dryer first, guaranteeing the screws are secure. Use the metal ring catch that went with it to protect the relationship with the dryer.
Once more ensuing to affixing, set the periscopic conductor’s slider to the right length for the divider behind it, then relaxed and move the dryer into the ideal place while the contrary completion of the dryer vent goes into the exhaust pipe. Fix the screws and the ring catch after it’s positioned to keep it set up. That is all that you’ll need to gather the periscopic pipe.
- This SAF-T-DUCT Zero Periscope is used for close clearance dryer transition duct. It solves situations where the dryer outlet overlaps or is within 5″ of the wall outlet. The smooth interior decreases air friction for excellent airflow.
- Made with 100% aluminum, this periscope features 2" x 6" rigid construction with a smooth interior. Two sections telescope from 0″ to 5″. Sections are not reversible.
- One end is a 4″ male, crimped rotating snap-lock collar that fits into wall outlet. The other end is a 4″ female, draw band rotating collar fits over dryer outlet.
4. The recessed dryer vent box
Concerning tight regions, there is in many cases, not adequate room for the channel to move and it doesn’t get the quick course that it requires. You could utilize a recessed dryer vent box to fix this issue.
The recessed dryer vent box is a divider association that sends the exhaust channel fairly higher up so the vent tubing can without a very remarkable stretch fit into the recessed vent box’s vacant. This could require a greater opening in the divider, yet it in like manner settles the issue of your dryer not being arranged outwardly dividers of your home.
Installation of the recessed dryer vent box
Presenting a recessed dryer vent box could appear to be irksome, but it’s essentially basically as direct as cutting a purposeful opening in the drywall where your old exhaust ducting was put.
Basically, implant the recessed box in its suitable region and secure it with the included screws. Whenever it’s gotten to the divider, you can without a doubt interact the dryer’s exhaust line to the recessed box’s exhaust outlet and secure it with ring supports preceding reinstalling the dryer.
5. Professional help
You may always hire specialists to come in and perform the job for you if you are having trouble installing any of these and find yourself in a tight place, similar to when installing your dryer.
There are numerous advantages to hiring expert assistance, the most convincing of which is that they will know how to complete the task correctly, reducing the danger of harm or incorrect procedures voiding any guarantee. You can always seek professional help, and it is rarely too far away.
1. How do you install a dryer vent in tight space?
By following the steps mentioned like preparing offset dryer vents, properly connecting gas lines, and connecting the offset duct to the wall vent duct connection, you can install a dryer vent in tight spaces.
2. Can you run a dryer without the vent hooked up?
Running a dryer without the vent hooked up can cause a multitude of problems like fire hazards and carbon monoxide which might be fatal.
3. What is the minimum length for a dryer vent hose?
The maximum length of a dryer hose duct should not exceed 35 feet from the dryer location to the wall or roof.
4. Without an outside vent, how do you vent a dryer?
Open the windows in which you will be using the dryer. You can use the dryer without an outside vent by connecting the vent hose to a window or door that opens to the outdoors.
5. Can a dryer vent be squished?
Dryer vents can get squished as they are long and flexible. To avoid squishing, provide plenty of space around the dryer.
6. How much room do you need behind a dryer for a vent?
Around six inches of space must be provided behind a dryer for its vent.
Throughout the years, people have been asking about the procedure of a dryer venting in a tight space, but there are only a few answers. Being an appliance repair technician, even I was astounded when I first faced this problem. Not only me but almost all dryer owners have to face this problem at least once in their lifetime.
After thinking about the problem and trying to find out the solutions, I realized that more or less many people have been facing this issue. So I took the matter into my own hands. With my previous knowledge and new knowledge gained through this experience, I have come up with many solutions, as well as alternative solutions to help you overcome your problems.