FixLivity is reader-supported. We may earn an affiliate commission when you buy through the links on our site. Learn more.
Lately, my whirlpool dryer has been squeaking a lot, especially when handling heavy laundry. After some research, I learned these are telltale signs of a worn-out belt. It was a clear indication that my dryer needed a new belt. During this time, the dryer makes loud thumping and squeaking noises during the drying cycles.
Obviously, the dryer needed a new belt. So, the big question is how to replace a belt on a whirlpool dryer? You can replace a belt on a Whirlpool dryer by turning off the dryer, removing the lint filter, and separating the dryer top from the body. You should see the drum and belt once the dryer top pops out. Remove the old belt from the drum and slide in the new belt with the grooved side facing inward.
Once the new dryer is in place, reassemble the dryer and plug it in. You can always refer to the whirlpool dryer belt replacement diagram found in the manual. I managed to replace the belt, and so can you. Here is what to do.
Step by step guide on how to replace a belt on a whirlpool dryer
Below, I discuss simple steps to follow when replacing a whirlpool dryer belt. They are relatively simple steps that can get your dryer running smoothly. But first, let’s get down to the tools you will need.
Tools You Need To Replace A Belt On A Whirlpool Dryer
Steps To Follow To Replace A Belt On A Whirlpool Dryer
Step 1: Unplug The Dryer
The first step is a safe one when you need to disconnect the power. Ensure the dryer is disconnected from all power sources and off. You might have to move the dryer a few inches from the wall and unplug it. This is a crucial step that applies to all appliance repairs.
Step 2: Remove The Lint Filter
Using a 5/16th nut socket, remove the lint filter. This will reveal two screws. You need to remove the two screws to remove the dryer top. You can always refer to your manual for proper whirlpool belt location. For example, the belt is found on the right-hand corner of most Whirlpool dryers. Remove the two screws and place them inside the container for safe storage.
- 【Premium Material】XOOL Screwdrivers are made of High strength S2 steel, tougher than most carbon steel in order to reduce wear-outs and stripping, avoid damage and allow good contact with bolts for excellent durability.The tips are coated with anodized coating to protect the screwdriver from rust and corrosion and guarantee long service life
- 【Excellent Design】The Ergonomic Non-slip Handle adopt dual material to provide positive torque, comfortable to grip in hand and soft sense of touch. 360° Rotating cap effectively improve work efficiency,save time and energy.The screwdriver handle is clearly visible with the brand logo and specifications
- 【9 Different Sizes of Screwdrivers】XOOL Precision Screwdrivers Set contains the commonly used sizes, including Slotted 1.5mm, Slotted 2.0mm, Slotted 2.5mm; Phillips 1.5mm, Phillips 2.0mm, Phillips2.5mm; Torx T-5, Torx T-6; Pentalobe 0.8; perfect for your electronics device repairs,smartphones, pc, tablets, cameras, printers, game stations, watches, eyeglasses, jewelry, etc
Step 3: Pop Out The Dryer Top
Use a putty knife to remove the top cover of the dryer. Now that the two screws are off, place the putty knife on the opening between the front of the dryer and the top of the dryer. Gently pop out the top of the dryer on both sides. You can start from one corner and move the knife slowly on both corners. The dryer top should flip out, giving you access to the dryer inside from the top.
- Perfect for Organizing: Our all-purpose storage containers are perfect for organizing, sorting, and kitchen or pantry storage, miscellaneous craft and hobby materials, toys (such as lego storage), small hardware items or tools (screws, nuts, bolts, nails), and more. And our clear containers make it easy to see what’s stored in every bin. These storage canisters can be purchased in Red, Yellow, or Blue lids for easy organizing.
- Stackable Lid Design: The stackable lids and bases were designed with modular use in mind. These containers are stackable for convenient, clutter-free storage, and each container features a wide flip-top lid allowing easy access to whatever item you're wanting to store. The flip lids are wide enough for your fingers to reach inside — or tilt and pour what you need. But also snap shut for transporting. Limited organization space? Not a problem. Stack ’em as high as necessary to get your jobs done.
- Food Safe & BPA Free: We use only the highest quality, BPA-free food grade resins which means, yes, these are safe for everything from baking morsels such as candy, nuts, sprinkles, to pet treats. Manufactured from BPA-free polypropylene, these handy storage containers also provide excellent “sort-and-store” convenience for your kitchen, RV or pet needs.
Step 4: Release The Dryer Front
Next, you need to remove the front of the machine. Start by undoing the hex-nut bolts, which are located at the top corners. Use a nut driver to remove them. Have someone to help you support the drum, which should come out of the front panel.
However, before removing the drum, you need to disconnect all electrical connections on the front door. Once the screws and electrical connections are removed, lift the front cover and pull it out. This is where you need someone supporting the drum.
- ✅ Edgewater Parts 358237, AP6008726, PS11741866 Washer Agitator Bolt Compatible With Whirlpool Washer
- ✅ Replaces: WP358237, AP6008726, 285009, 357082, 357083, 357231, 358500, 359198, 97831, PS11741866, WP358237VP
- ✅ 1 Year Warranty
Step 5: Pull Out The Old Belt
Now that the dryer interior is exposed and you’ve accessed the drum pull out the old belt. The belt is usually visible at this stage. You can take time and observe its condition before removing it. If it is broken, go ahead and remove it from the drum. In some cases, the belt might still be attached to the drum. Use a utility knife to cut it.
- Tool Set includes general purpose selection of the most frequently used nut drivers (Cat. Nos. 646-1/4M and 646-5/16M)
- Full-hollow shaft design with Rare-Earth magnetic tip facilitates work on bolt applications
- Handle end is color-coded for easy identification
Step 6: Vacuum The Drum
This step is unnecessary but one you can consider doing now that you have the drum apart. After all, the drum can accumulate a lot of dirt. Once you have the drum out, vacuum it and remove any dirt accumulated over the years.
- 🔥 The Leading Cause Of Dryer Fires Are Attributed To Lint. This Dryer Vent Kit Enables You To Clean Your Dryer Vent and Lint Trap Yourself.
- 💰 Don't Waste Money On A Service Call! Use This Dryer Duct Cleaning Kit To Remove Flammable Lint and Help Your Dryer Run Better Than Ever.
- ✅ Included With The Dryer Vent Vacuum Cleaner Attachment Are 3 Universal Adapters, Which Were Specially Designed To Fit The Most Vacuums. This Allows Your Dryer Lint Cleaner Attachment To Attach To Your Vacuum. *** Does not fit Dyson Vacuums ***
Step 7: Put On The New Belt
You can now put on the new belt around the drum. Let the extra person helping you hold the drum. Place the belt over the entire drum. Make sure the grooved side faces inward towards the drum while the flat side faces outside. Once the belt is around the drum, you need to move underneath the drum where the motor and idler pulley are located.
Carefully place the belt through the idler pulley and attach it to the motor. Check the whirlpool dryer belt tensioner and ensure the belt fits perfectly. When the entire process is done correctly, the idler pulley needs to apply tension to the belt. You can always refer to the whirlpool dryer belt diaphragm.
Lastly, make sure you check the rear felt on the drum back and ensure the belt has not folded. You only need to reassemble the dryer when everything is correctly in place.
- ☻【Package Includes】1 * 341241 Dryer Drum Belt
- ☻【Multi-Model Compatibility】 Works with the majority of brand dryers: Whirlpool, Roper, Admiral, Hardwick, Jenn-Air, Estate, Magic Chef, Crosley, Inglis, Norge, Modern Maid, Amana, Kenmore, Caloric & Ikea,etc.Part Number 14210003, 31001026, 31531589, 3389628, 3392665, 3394651, 3399844, 345473, 349533, 53-0186, 53-1080, 53-1528,53-1589, 53-2671,660996, 660997,661561,693306, 694088, 694416, 694868, 695055, 697388, 8066065, 8210, 99906951, 99989673, 99989674, FSP341241, P46-037,
- ☻【REPLACEMENT PART NUMBER】The 341241 Dryer Drum Belt replaces part numbers: PS346995, 14210003, 2008, 26000341241, 26000349533, 31001026, 31531589, 3389628, 3392665, 3394651, 3399844, 341241, 341241, 341241VP, 345473, 349533, 529597, 53-0186, 53-1080, 53-1086, 53-1528, 53-1589, 53-2671, 53-2910, 660996, 660997, 661561, 693306, 694088, 694416, 694868, 695055, 697388, 8066065, 8206, 8210, 99906951, 99989673, 99989674, AP2946843, AP32, FSP341241, P46-037, P46-149, W10127457, W10131364.
Step 8: Reassemble The Dryer
Finally, you’ve made it and replaced the old damaged belt on your whirlpool dryer. Now it’s time to reassemble the dryer back and start doing your laundry. Go ahead and fit the drum back to the rim on the front panel before sliding it into the dryer. Fix the two hex-nut bolts that held it together.
Swing the top and front of the dryer back and screw them. You can finish everything by plugging the dryer back and starting to dry clothes again.
Generally, how to replace belts on a whirlpool front load dryer should be the same as most whirlpool dryer models.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How Much Does It Cost To Replace A Belt On A Whirlpool Dryer?
A new whirlpool dryer belt costs around $10-$40. You also need to get a few essential tools that add the cost to replace the belt. If you hire a professional, you need to add labor costs of around $175 to $295, depending on the dryer model and location.
2. How Do I Change The Belt On My Front Load Dryer?
You can change the belt on the front load dryer by lifting the lid and removing the front cover to access the belt. Next, you need to cut and remove the old belt before placing a new one. Once the new belt is in place, set the drum back into the dryer and reassemble it.
3. Is It Worth Repairing A Dryer?
It is worth repairing a dryer as a few components might be damaged. The overall repair costs will be way small compared to the cost of buying a brand new dryer. This is true, especially when the dryer breaks when still legally new. Unless a dryer is ancient, repairing is cost-effective and makes sense.
4. How Do You Know If A Dryer Belt Is Bad?
You can know if a dryer belt is terrible when the dryer stops working before clothes dry, there are squeaking noises, belt noises, or when the belt won’t turn. Once you experience these signs, you can open the dryer and physically observe the belt for signs of damage. A broken dryer is usually broken, thin, and worn out.
5. How Hard Is It To Replace A Dryer Belt?
Replacing a dryer belt is quite simple and easy to do without any professional help. While you can still hire a technician, the process is simple and easy to do. You just need to get a new belt and a few tools to open the dryer, fix the new belt, and reassemble the dryer.
6. What Causes A Dryer Belt To Break?
The turning of the dryer around the drum causes wear and tear with age. Eventually, the dryer thins and wears out, making it break.
The excessive stress from daily turning puts a lot of pressure on the belt, weakening it over time.
Generally, most Whirlpool dryer problems can be solved at home without hiring a professional. Now you know how to replace a belt on a whirlpool dryer on your own. The process is relatively easy when you have the right tools and know the steps to follow. Typically, you need a whirlpool dryer manual, a few tools, and a new belt. Once you open the dryer and replace the belt, your dryer will run smoothly without any squeaking noises.