FixLivity is reader-supported. We may earn an affiliate commission when you buy through the links on our site. Learn more.
For the past year, I’ve had a Samsung dryer that has performed admirably. But one day while getting ready for my office I noticed my Samsung dryer clicked but wouldn’t start. I panicked at first but as an appliance repair technician, I decided to intervene. I was fortunate enough to have a spare dryer control board in my garage. My problems were fixed once I replaced the damaged control board with a new one. My clothes were not drying in the dryer. This made me uncomfortable.
So why was my Samsung dryer start button not working? When I got my tools and opened the control panel of my dryer to sort out the problem, I discovered that my dryer’s start button was not working due to a damaged control board.
I was scared I wouldn’t be able to make it in time. I remained composed because I had previously repaired a number of dryers. I was able to address the problem quickly thanks to my understanding of technological devices.
list of the problems for Samsung dryer start button not working
Do you know how to tell if the start button on your dryer is broken or damaged? To be honest, the solution is quite straightforward. There are a few reasons why your Samsung dryer start/pause button is not working. To begin, test your dryer’s start button to see what’s wrong. If you discover that your Samsung dryer turns on but doesn’t spin, you’ll need to replace it. A few reasons which might cause the Samsung dryer won’t turn off Are given below:
- Blown Thermal Fuse
- Faulty Door Switch
- Broken Control Board
step-by-step solutions on how to fix the Samsung dryer start button
1. Blown Thermal Fuse
The dryer thermal fuse is a 2 by 12-inch white plastic safety mechanism that restricts the flow of power to the motor circuit when a dryer overheats. If the fuse is missing or broken, your dryer will not turn on.
The thermal fuse will break if the exhaust temperature exceeds the fuse rating, or if the temperature exceeds the temperature that the fuse is designed to take. If a heating element is shorted, a regulating thermostat or thermistor malfunctions, or an exhaust vent is partially blocked, this can happen.
This thermostat will turn on the heater circuit until the desired temperature is reached, then cycle on the timer motor until the temperature decreases to a level where the heater may be turned back on.
The fuse is linked to the blower wheel housing. It must be changed when there is no longer any continuity between the terminals. It’s a one-time fuse, therefore it can’t be replaced. The new part comes with two 3/16-inch terminals.
How can you tell if your dryer’s thermal fuse has blown? To check if the fuse has blown, touch the right side of your multimeter lead to the right side of the fuse, then repeat with the left multimeter lead. The thermal fuse bursts when the multimeter needle remains motionless.
The following ways to reinstall a blown thermal fuse are given below:-
- Unplug the dryer from the power socket
- Remove the screws of the back panel using a nut driver
- Remove the back panel
- Disconnect the wires from the thermal fuse
- Unscrew the mounting screw and remove the thermal fuse
- Install the new thermal fuse and reinstall the mounting screw
- Reconnect the wires
- Reinstall the back panel
- Test the dryer out and make sure the timer works without any issues.
- Fix it yourself with a WEN Handyman replacement part
- Compatible with a variety of different brands, including Whirlpool, Kenmore, Maytag, and more
- Make your dryer run like new again
2. Faulty Door Switch
The door switch is a simple on/off switch that prevents the dryer from operating while the door is open. On dryers, the door switches are about an inch long. It will be located around the door aperture on the front panel. It’s possible that you’ll be able to snap the switch out of place or remove it with only one screw undone.
The door switch’s purpose is to keep the dryer from running when the door is open. Although these switches are known to endure a long period, they can fail before the dryer. The dryer door switch may have ceased working if the dryer does not turn on when you press the start button.
When the dryer door shuts, an electronic signal is delivered to the dryer’s control panel, which initiates the drying cycle. However, with time and repeated use, the switch may fail to provide the necessary signal, causing the dryer to stop spinning.
So, how can you tell if a door switch is broken? To see if the door switch is broken, use a multimeter to check for continuity. The door switch should be replaced if the findings of the multimeter tests do not match. A broken door switch cannot be fixed, it must be replaced with a new one if it shows any signs of wear.
The solutions to fix this problem can be difficult as it can be hard for some people to replace switches but here are the following steps to replace a broken door switch:-
- Unplug the dryer
- Remove the lint screen
- Disconnect the wire harness
- Replace the switch
- Reconnect the wire harness
- Reinstall the lint screen
- Plugin the device, Test out the dryer, and make sure it works perfectly fine without any issues.
- 💡 𝐈𝐌𝐏𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐓: Please check the model number carefully before ordering. If you're unsure about the compatibility, send us your dryer model number and we can help you confirm if it fits or not.
- ✅ 𝟏𝟎𝟎% 𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐄𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐘: Customer satisfaction is our priority. If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, we will compensate you and offer extra benefits to ensure your rights. Buy with confidence!
- ✅ MODEL NUMBER: 3406107 Dryer Door Switch
3. Broken Control Board
The primary functions of the dryer are controlled by the control board. Frequently, control boards are misdiagnosed. Before replacing the control board, be sure you check for more often problematic parts.
So how can you test the control board? Find the rotary switch, unplug your dryer and remove the control console panel on the top of your dryer. Place the probes on the switch’s terminals and set your multimeter to Rx1. You should get an infinity reading if it doesn’t reset your dryer to be completely sure you have a broken control board.
So how can you reset the Samsung dryer control board? Many Samsung dryers are equipped with a reset button on the control panel. If it doesn’t Unplug it or turn off the power at the circuit breaker, wait a few minutes for the electrical charge to dissipate, usually 1 to 5 minutes, and then plug it back in. That’s all there is to it.
The following ways to replace a dryer control board are given below:-
- Unplug the dryer
- Remove the screws from the top panel using a 1/4 nut driver
- Pull the top panel up and off the dryer
- Using a slot screwdriver remove the locking tabs from the wire connector
- Pull the wire harness plug from the connection receptacle
- Remove the hex head screw from the control board
- Slide out the control board
- Replace and reinstall the new control board
- Reinstall all the wires and the screws
- Test the dryer out and make sure everything works perfectly
- FREE FUSE ( Recomended change fuse before to use the new part) NEW PART NUMBER GLOB PRO SOLUTIONS WPW10111606 Electronic Control Board
1. How do you fix the start button on a dryer?
A blown thermal fuse, faulty door switch, or broken control board are all possible causes of a broken start button. Fixing or replacing them might resolve the issue.
2. Why is my dryer start button not working?
A blown thermal fuse, faulty door switch, or broken control board are all possible causes of why your dryer start button is not working.
3. What would cause a Samsung dryer not to start?
A blown thermal fuse, faulty door switch, or broken control board are all possible causes of why your Samsung dryer won’t start.
4. What do you do if your Samsung dryer won’t turn on?
It could be as easy as a tripped breaker or a loose power cord dryer to why your Samsung dryer won’t turn on. The first step is to open the dryer door and check for a light on the drum. To avoid electric shock, always turn off the circuit breaker before engaging with the dryer’s power cord.
5. How do I know if my dryer start switch is bad?
The dryer will not work if the door is open for safety reasons. Because the switch can’t tell the control panel that the door is shut when it’s broken, the dryer won’t turn on. Taking the switch out of the dryer and testing it with a multimeter is the only method to determine if it is malfunctioning.
6. How do I take the start switch off my dryer?
Turn off the electricity to the dryer. Remove the knob and remove the control knob from the front of the push-to-start switch by pulling it straight up. The back panel should be removed then remove the push-button starter. Replace the old push-to-start switch with the new one. The back panel should be reattached. Remove the control knob and reinstall it. Reconnect the dryer to the power source.
My Samsung dryer start button was not working due to a damaged control board. I was concerned that I would have to purchase a new dryer. Dryers are simply too expensive for me to afford these days. However, after deconstructing it, I was able to laugh it off. With a deep sigh, I let out a sense of relief. My dryer start button issue was caused by the control board in my dryer.
Many others, like me, are experiencing similar difficulties. They may not be as experienced in appliance maintenance as I am, but they may be just as concerned about their dryers as I am. As a result, I’ve prepared a list of concerns and potential solutions to help others deal with similar problems.
I can confidently state that my dryer is one of the best buys I’ve ever made as a frequent user of dryers and an appliance repair professional. Allowing tiny imperfections to alter your impression of how great this thing is, is a mistake. However, before you begin any of the troubleshooting methods, I strongly advise you to turn off the power. It will protect you against electrocution, which could cause the dryer to fail.