FixLivity is reader-supported. We may earn an affiliate commission when you buy through the links on our site. Learn more.
It’s frustrating when your Whirlpool dryer knob breaks off. Dryer knobs are crucial to a dryer’s operation. When your Whirlpool dryer knob is broken, the dryer won’t operate properly. That’s a headache for every dryer owner. Don’t worry; I’m here to help you out. You can fix this yourself, and it’s as easy as pie.
So, how to fix Whirlpool Dryer Knob Broken? When it comes to fixing a broken knob, epoxy glue can help. Apply the glue to the damaged area and hold it with pliers until it dries completely. However, it’s not a great way to fix the broken knob, and the best practice is to replace the broken knob.
I know it seems like everything. But trust me, it’s just the tip of the iceberg. I’ve got a lot more things to show you. Let’s jump in, shall we?
How to Fix a Whirlpool Dryer Knob Broken?
A dryer broken knob can be fixed in several ways, mostly replaced by a new one. Before starting the fixing, you need to determine what’s going wrong. Then you can attempt troubleshooting. Well, I can help. Let’s begin. You can apply this method if your dryer is full of wet clothes and you suddenly notice the dryer knob has broken off. It’s a temporary solution. Here’s how to do this:
- Grasp the shaft of the timer with a pair of pliers
- Now turn the pliers slightly in the direction you regularly turn to set the desired heating cycle.
This method is only for temporarily fixing the dryer’s broken knob to dry the clothes. However, if it doesn’t work here’s another solution-
- Use epoxy glue to fix a broken or cracked knob.
- Now use a pair of needle-nose pliers to hold the parts together until it dries completely (you’ll get the instructions on the glue’s packaging)
- Move the knob back to the timer shaft once it dries.
- Now test the knob by turning it on a heat heating cycle to see whether it works.
I’ve already shown you two temporary solutions. But you need to replace the knob as soon as you can. If the knob shaft gets broken, you’ve got to move one step further.
How to Replace a Whirlpool Dryer Knob?
When your GE dryer knob is broken, or your Maytag dryer knob broke off, replacing the knob is the best solution. It’s a quick and easy process. Let’s see-
- Use a string or wear to pull off the old knob.
- Now grab the new knob and hold it in the switch stem.
- Push the new knob down to secure it tightly.
- Now turn the timer to see whether it works or not.
However, when the dryer knob isn’t broken, you need to look for a broken knob shaft. If the shaft knob is broken, then whirlpool dryer knob stem replacement or buying a new timer is necessary.
- This is a genuine GE Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) part
- GE OEM WE1M652 is compatible with various GE (General Electric) Dryer models
- GE WE1M652 is a Timer Knob for GE Dryers and is white in color
How to Fix Broken Dryer Knob Shaft?
The best solution to fix a broken dryer knob shaft is to replace it with a new timer. It’s not a piece of cake but if you follow the instructions you can do it on your own. Let’s start!
- Turn off the power supply
- Remove the control knob from the front panel
- Use a nut driver to remove the screws from the back panel
- Remove the back panel gently and keep it aside
- Now locate the timer and remove the wires and screws from it (before removing the wires don’t forget to take a picture of the wires to remember their location)
- Now install the new timer
- Connect the wires and screws properly.
- Reattach the panel.
- Reinstall the knob.
- Turn the power on and test the timer.
- The GE Appliances WE4M353 Dryer Timer is a genuine OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) part designed and engineered to exact specifications
- Replacement GE Appliances Dryer Dryer Timer controls the electrical components and the duration of the dryer cycles
- GE Appliances WE4M353 Dryer Dryer Timer has a plastic "D" shaped shaft
Can you fix a broken start knob on a dryer?
Yes, using epoxy glue can fix the broken knob temporarily.
How do you fix a broken dryer start button?
Step by step process to fix a broken dryer start button-
1. Turn off the power supply
2. Pull off the knob
3. Remove the back panel
4. Identify the broken button
5. Remove the wires
6. Install a new button
7. Reattach the wires and back panel
Can you replace the knob on a dryer?
Yes, you can replace the knob on a dryer. Pull off the old or broken knob with a string or wire and install a new one. It’s as easy as pie.
Why is my dryer knob not moving?
The dryer knob stops moving when you turn it too much. Sometimes the dirt and stains are also responsible for this. To get rid of this problem, you can use a lubricant spray. If the knob is broken, replace it with a new one.
I’ve tried to show you how to fix a dryer knob in this post. If you go through this post properly, you can fix and replace the broken knob of your dryer on your own. It takes a few minutes and isn’t a mammoth of a task. Besides, it saves a few bucks—all you need to do is buy the required parts.
To conclude, before attempting any troubleshooting, don’t forget to turn off the power supply and take enough precautions. Also, read the user manual properly and buy the appropriate parts. However, if you’re still confused, don’t forget to call a professional.