FixLivity is reader-supported. We may earn an affiliate commission when you buy through the links on our site. Learn more.
I own several Whirlpool appliances, but nothing stands out for me as their dryers. I like how Whirlpool dryers are set to monitor almost everything. They can detect and monitor noise levels, moisture levels, temperature, fabric type, and load.
These dryers work uniquely, adjusting drying times to match the fabric. However, of late, I’ve realized there is one thing these dryers can’t do. There is no single Whirlpool dryer that can reset itself. You need to press the reset button manually for it to restart and reset.
So, the big question here is how to reset whirlpool dryer? Your Whirlpool dryer will run into problems occasionally. Resetting a Whirlpool dryer is relatively easy. Majorly, what you need to do is turn the dryer off by unplugging it for at least one minute. After one minute, plug the dryer and switch it on.
You can also reset the Whirlpool dryer f01 error code by pressing the start button for a few seconds to restart the dryer. If the error persists, change the drying cycle and restart again. The type of reset you perform depends on the error code displayed. If the dryer does not operate normally, perform a general reset by disconnecting power for 30 minutes.
In this post, I will show you how to reset the Whirlpool dryer and other standard Whirlpool error codes.
How To Reset Whirlpool Dryer
There is no single whirlpool dryer reset that can solve all dryer errors. This is because Whirlpool dryers suffer different errors depending on the problem. First, you need a whirlpool dryer troubleshooting manual to help identify the error code and steps to solve it. Below are common Whirlpool dryer resets to know.
1. Total power reset
The first reset is the total power reset which occurs due to various power issues. Generally, Whirlpool dryers require a lot of power to run smoothly and efficiently. However, a break in the circuit results in less or no power, and the dryer will not function normally. In most cases, the dryer starts but fails to perform additional functions. For example, the dryer might start but not heat.
The first step is to reset the whirlpool dryer thermal fuse or circuit breakers. Replacing the thermal fuses will reset the power and get the dryer functioning properly. This means getting a new thermal fuse or circuit breaker. You can always use the manual to locate the dryer thermal fuse.
However, resetting a whirlpool dryer is not that easy since there are several errors the dryer might show. If the general power reset does not work, you need to check the individual error code and perform the appropriate reset.
- REPLACES Part Number WP3392519 - Dryer Thermal Fuse Exact Fit
- EASY TO INSTALL - Made to fit exactly top named dryers (Whirlpool, Kenmore, KitchenAid, Roper, Estate, Inglis, Crosley, Maytag, Amana, Admiral, Magic Chef)
- FIXES NO START ISSUES: Fixes no start, no heat, will not tumble or timer does not advance issues.
2. PF Error Code
Next, you need to know how to reset a PF error code. This is a Whirlpool dryer error code that occurs due to power failure. A PF error code is an indication of a recent power failure. This could happen if you recently serviced the dryer if there was a power outage, among other reasons. It can also occur if the power cord is not connected correctly. The PF error code is displayed on the screen. You must reset and restart the dryer to run correctly.
Reset and restart the dryer by following these simple steps:
- Press the start button for 1-3 seconds
- After doing this, the dryer restarts automatically
- Wait a minute! Did the dryer start automatically? If not, here is what to do next
- Choose a new drying cycle option
- Press the start button again for a few seconds
- The dryer will reset and restart automatically
3. AF Error Code
The AF error code is another standard error code that occurs in Whirlpool dryers. It appears when there is low airflow in the dryer. You can reset a whirlpool tumble dryer by clearing the error code and fixing the issue behind the low airflow. In most cases, the AF error code happens because of a blocked lint screen or vent system. Identifying the error code is the first step towards resetting it.
If you experience the AF error code, here is what you need to do:
- First, let the dryer finish the current drying cycle
- Next, disconnect the dryer by unplugging it
- Clean the dryer exterior vent removing any debris, dirt, dust, and lint
- Clean the lint screen and the ventilation hose. Make sure you remove the excessive lint that might be causing the blockage.
Once you clean and assemble the dryer back, connect it and press the start button. Select a new timed cycle. You can also reset a whirlpool Cabrio dryer by following the same procedure.
- 348846 22'' length Lint Screen For whirlpool, Kenmore Dryer
- MADE IN USA BY EDGEWATER PARTS
- Please check this measurement below before ordering
4. L2 Error Code
The last code you can expect on your whirlpool dryer is the L2 error code. It is another code that indicates a problem with your power supply. You don’t need to freak out as the error is easy to reset. If the dryer turns on but does not heat, consider a whirlpool dryer thermostat reset.
Follow these steps to easily remove the error code and get your dryer running smoothly:
- Press any keypad for a few seconds, and the error code will disappear
- If the dryer runs typically, producing heat, the disregard the error code
- You can also create a new timed cycle and restart the dryer again if the error code is still there
- If the dryer still lacks heat, then consider replacing the circuit breaker or thermal fuses
Following the steps above should reset a whirlpool front load dryer or any whirlpool dryer mode. As a caution, always disconnect the dryer when replacing any dryer parts.
- REPLACEABLE MODEL--- Don't worry, find your replaces part number, we can solve the dryer failure. ❶3387134 replaces number: 306910, 3387135, 3387139, WP3387134VP ❷3392519 replaces number: 3388651694 ,511800-05, WP3392519VP, 3977398, 3399693,WP3977767VP, AP3131941, 898078 ❸3977393 replaces number：NP279816、3399848, PS334299, AP3094244, WP3977393 EAP334299, 400-218716 ❹3977767 replaces number :NP279816,3399848,PS334299,AP3094244,WP3977393 EAP334299,400 - 218716
- SCOPE of APPLICATION--- We can compatible with most quality brands ( whirlpool, kenmore, roper, maytag, estate, inglis, kitchenAid, crosley, amana, admiral, magic chef clothes Dryers).
- INSTALLATION INSTRUCTION--- A thermal fuse is a disposable item that must be replaced with a new one when it is blown once The thermostat can be changed in the following cases: no heat or insufficient heat; it takes too long to dry; it is turned off too quickly; it does not start; it is too hot; the timer does not advance.If you like DIY, it can bring you fun, and it is quite easy to replace the hot fuse.If you do not replace your own, your local appliance repair shop can do it for you!
5. General Reset
There are instances where the Whirlpool dryer will not show any error code but will operate improperly. In such cases, the machine needs a general reset.
- To perform a general reset, disconnect the dryer from the power supply
- Wait for at least 30 minutes with the power disconnected
- Reconnect the power back and restart the machine
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is There A Reset Button On Whirlpool Dryers?
There is a reset button on whirlpool dryers to restart and restart the dryer. Most whirlpool dryers feature a reset button on the control panel.
However, the reset button is just the start button. You need to long-press it for at least 3 seconds to reset and start the dryer.
2. How Do I Reset My Whirlpool Dryer?
You can reset a whirlpool dryer by turning it off and unplugging it. Keep the dryer unplugged for at least one minute before plugging it back in. Switch the dryer on to finish the reset process.
If the dryer error code is still there, you need to change the drying cycle to the right one and restart the dryer again.
3. How Do You Reset A Front Load Dryer?
You can reset a front load dryer by pressing the start button for a few seconds. This resets and restarts the dryer. In most cases, the dryer resets and restarts automatically. However, if the front load dryer does not restart automatically, you need to change the drying cycle.
Make sure you choose a different drying cycle and other drying options. You can then press the ‘start button again for a few seconds. The dryer will restart automatically, and the error code will disappear.
4. When I Press The Start Button On My Dryer, Nothing Happens?
When you press the start button on your dryer and nothing happens, the power cord might be broken, or the push-to-start switch failed. This usually happens when power is not reaching the dryer or the start switch is defective.
In some dryers, this can be due to a broken motor relay which prevents the dryer from starting. For electric dryers, a blown thermal fuse can also cause the issue.
5. Why Is My Dryer Running But Not Heating?
Your dryer might be running but not heating because of a blown thermal fuse, broken heating element for electric dryers, and no gas flow for gas dryers. The same can also happen when the lint screen and vent are clogged. A tripped circuit breaker can also cause the problem.
You need to identify the cause of the dryer running but not heating and fix it. Mostly, this is done by replacing the defective dryer component. Always reset check vent light on the whirlpool dryer when there are vent issues.
Well, that is it! I hope my suggestion can help you to how to reset whirlpool dryer. There is no questioning the immense benefits of Whirlpool dryers in our households. It is an important machine that plays a vital role. However, owning a machine is not enough. You need to know how to operate it and troubleshoot common problems.
The last thing you want is to spend hundreds of dollars paying technicians on minor issues you can fix at home. Most Whirlpool dryer issues are minor and easy to fix at home. Learning how to reset a Whirlpool dryer is crucial if you want to own one.